Today and Our Future
Nova Scotia and our local food future
- We are at the edge of a food crisis. Our cod stocks have been decimated and our pork industry is in crisis.
- Our local food supply is reliant on importing from abroad. There are many unanswered questions as to the security and stability of our imported food.
- Nitrogen fertilizer is used by half of the world to produce food yet its future could be in jeopardy due its reliance on high energy amounts for production.
- Climate change is affecting our temperatures, our fresh water sources, and our soil availability.
- Our agricultural system is fragile and needs very specific amounts and application of clean water, soil, nutrients, fertilizer, and appropriate temperature ranges or our food supply is threatened.
- High pricing of food, overwhelmed food banks, lack of support for those who cannot afford basic food essentials